12.11.2009

Truth vs. Sentiment

"I understand God by His Word. I cannot understand God by impressions or feelings; I cannot get to know God by sentiments. If I am going to know God, I am going to know Him by His Word. I know I shall be in heaven, but I could not build on my feelings that I am going to heaven. I am going to heaven because God's Word says it, and I believe God's Word. And “faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.” Rom. 10;17...If you build yourself on imaginations you will go wrong. You have the Word of God and it is enough...And truly the Word of God changes a man until he becomes an epistle of God. It transforms his mind, changes his character, moves him on from grace to grace, makes him an inheritor of the very nature of God. God comes in, dwells in, walks in, talks through, and sups with him who opens his being to the Word of God and receives the Spirit who inspired it."
-Smith Wiggelsworth

4 comments:

Barrett said...

A beautiful and crucial word to hear. Thanks, Lauren.

lauren said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. It is crucial (good word, Barrett).

luke said...

this is a really good quote--i thought that when i first read it but didn't comment because other people said the same thing.

but then i read this thing and it really reminded of some of your writings, both in form and spirit. so i thought i'd share it with you. do you read the advent door blog? i think you'd like it, so take a look at this post:

http://theadventdoor.com/2009/12/11/advent-3-as-on-a-day-of-festival/

oh and how did you like coming over last week? geez i should have just sent you an email....

Sarah Amador said...

isnt it so encouraging when someone else from long ago affirms a truth we are experiencing? what a blessing...miss you already friend, see you soon