2.15.2010

Go ahead and chuckle

Title: A Question No One Wants to Hear
Setting: Standing in line for coffee at the mall
Characters: A 5-year-old girl, dressed in pink. Me, dressed in dark blue.

Script-
Her: (To herself but side glancing at me) I wonder if that's a boy or a girl...
Me: (Look away, trying to ignore it and hoping she forgets her question)
Her: (A little more directly, and this time crowning me with her tall balloon animal) Is that a boy or a girl?
Me: (Closed-mouth smile but still don't say anything, since she's still calling me a "that")
Her: Are you a boy or a girl?
Me: I'm a girl...Did my short hair trick you?
Her: No...it was your coat.
Me: Oh, well I guess I gotchya then...heh.
Her: (Turned back around silently)

AWKWARD

3 comments:

mrs schneider said...

ohhhh the bluntness of a child (:

luke said...

aw that's definitely good for a little chuckle :). gotta love little kids.

R.W. Shipshape said...

Even with short hair and a coat, you are FAR FAR FAR from anything that resembles a boy. Did you ask her if she was dumb? Just kidding! To reiterate, I was definitely joking about that last part.