9.03.2017

I bought a house for myself
thinking secretly
that I just needed to build an island
where attachment and loss couldn't find me,
I'd dig a moat, 
I thought,
where all of the glittery things could drown
before they hooked into my heart.
But soon after 
I began fixating on house fires
and my pets' frantic eyes
and their little cowering bodies
and so then the sad admittance 
that to live is to attach and to love and to lose
and I told myself
if i lose one more big thing
just drop me off at an institution
where they have those quick drugs
that turn the tidal waves to sloshing
and the clawing into swaying
and the horrible, endless falling
into poof
nothing at all.

It all comes down to this,

Not, how to not suffer,
but how to not be afraid
of the suffering.
Because I think that
that horrible, endless falling
and the tidal waves
and the frantic clawing
are actually in the fear,
and not in the suffering at all.

No comments: